Friday 27 July 2012

Fundraising for orphaned kids

I don't like the limelight. I'm a person that would prefer to keep quiet rather than say the wrong thing. I am painfully shy most of the time and I find it hard to hold a conversation with strangers. 

Weird that I wrote a book like Bali Raw, right? It is perhaps also strange that when I was offered a chance to promote Bali Raw by doing a book signing, I couldn't refuse despite my fears of public speaking.

There was a big hook that I just had to bite. I refused to do the promotion right up until the bar manager, he who wanted to do the book signing, said to me. "Mal, all the proceeds will be going to help feed the orphan children in Thailand." How do you say no to that?

I'm a big believer in giving something back and I have a soft spot for kids, especially kids that come into the world with no one to take care of them. When I worked in Bali, my family's company did a lot of work with orphan children with hearing disabilities. We sponsored a six year old orphan girl and ensured that she received a hearing aid. I spent a lot of time writing about and promoting the charity. I would love to mention this charity, but I don't think they would like to be associated with a book like Bali Raw. 

Suffice to say that despite my fear and the panic attacks I had right up to the event, I agreed not only to do the book signing, but to make a speech and meet and greet anyone that had bought Bali Raw. Luckily ,the event was a success and despite my nervousness I didn't make too many mistakes. Following is the article printed in a local Thailand paper. As this is all about the children I have blocked out the bar's name. I would have liked to block out my own, but if you are reading this, you already know who I am.


Cocktail Night and Book Signing 
Last night .. ..., manager of the ... ...., decided he would do something a little different to coincide with 4th of July Independence Day celebrations. And what could be more different than the showing of the Australian Rugby State of Origin, a cocktail night and the signing, in Thailand, of a book written about Bali.
With cocktails being made by .... and drinks being served by beautiful waitresses in Bali dress, the bar was fairly rocking by the time Bali Raw author Malcolm Scott managed to stumble around, meet a few of the punters and sign a few books.
A great night was had by all. And all monies made will be going to a very worthy cause, a Thai orphanage. I think Malcolm Scott said it best, when in his impromptu speech at the end of the night, he stated. "It is always good to give something back and who better to give it to than children?"

The event raised three hundred dollars for the Thai orphanage in question. Not a lot of money by western standards but hopefully it will go a long way in a place like Thailand. 

I would ask anyone that reads Bali Raw to please remember to give something back when you visit a place like Bali or Thailand.  I choose to give to orphaned children, your choice may be something different. But please, when you are enjoying that tropical holiday, put your hand in your pocket and give a little to help the country that you are holidaying in.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Malcolm, here's the link to the review in this week's beat magazine. Cheers. http://beatmag.com/bali/features/bali-raw.html

    ReplyDelete