Tuesday 3 July 2012

Exposing the Brutal Reality of Gangs, Drugs, Violence and Prostitution

Some people seem to have a problem with Bali Raw being too violent or
mentioning what happens between expats and prostitutes, and that's fine.
Everyone has a right to their opinion including myself. But I have to ask
why people that feel this way would pick up and read a book like Bali Raw in
the first place. 

Bali Raw is violent and there are stories about prostitutes in its pages. It
isn't a nice book about Bali. This should be evident from the blurb. If
these things offend you then maybe it isn't for you. But then Bali Raw also
gives an honest view about what Bali has become. And it is a view from an
expat that lived there for eight years. 

Some people also seem to feel that Bali Raw is about Kuta and not about
Bali. For the most part this is true. But I would then pose the question,
what is Bali without Kuta? 

Everyone who travels to Bali visits Kuta at least once and anyone who has
been to Bali more than once has been to Kuta. Kuta is a must on most Bali
tourists travel agendas, even if it is only for the shopping, or to gawk at
the nightlife. Maybe people won't like it. But to me the two are so
intertwined that they could be considered as one.

Bali has its wonderful side, but people already know that. But in the pursuit
of keeping Bali's pleasing image intact, are visitors to Bali being given all
the facts? Bali has sold itself so well over the last twenty years. It is
advertising genius, especially for someone like me with a background in
marketing. Put the name Bali in the title or headline and people want to
read it. But then a lot of bad things happen in Bali. All anyone has to do
is type in "Bali crime" on a search engine and scroll back a few years to find
out about them. It could be said, that in part, by writing Bali Raw I was
trying to wake people up to this fact. 

Bali is a great place and a delightful holiday destination. But it does have
a dark side. Do people want to know about this dark side? 

I think they do. Bali Raw wouldn't be selling so well if they didn't.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mal just read the book and thought it wasn't violent enough ... just kidding .
    It is a great read and all too true after my 23rd trip to Bali over 6 years I have had enough of the " goings on " there and will never return ,the Balinese can have it.
    When do we get Bali Raw 2 ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malcolm.

    In my case, Monsoon Books asked me to review it.

    So I did, but did try to give a balanced overview.

    One request, however: please don't turn into a 'Mark Austin' who is/was 100% negative, vindictive even regarding Bali's underbelly as he saw it.

    I'm sure you have much more to say about Bali - but in a positive light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jakartass

    Interesting name by the way.

    I have read your review and you are completely entitled to your opinion, so no problems. I will say however that I am also completely entitled to my opinion.

    In your review you state that you have visited Bali a couple of times, and that it was something like twenty four years ago, if I am correct. Little bit different from living on the island for eight years with the stint ending last year. Maybe you are forming opinions from your Jakarta experience?

    That would be fine and I am just making an observation but I do find it hard to see the relevance.

    Yes I have read Mark Austin and I can see the comparison. I will say however that we have different agendas.

    I don’t want to hurt anyone or damage Bali. I love the island. But I also feel it is going down the wrong path in a lot of areas. I feel that these problems cannot be addressed, unless they are pointed out honestly and without bias. This was part of my goal when I wrote Bali Raw.

    Thank you for taking the time to review Bali Raw and to visit my blog.

    Regards
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to disagree with your statement that everyone who goes to Bali visits mutant, I recently spent over a month in Bali without going to kuta or the south of the island, like many other travellers I have met. From what I hear, south Bali is considerably different from the north, north west and east, and I would think so I'm terms of crime too ( crime type and prevalence) I think if you don't already you should address this difference. I infact found each different region quite different from one another

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anon

    Kuta would have to be the most famous area of Bali and I do believe that most travellers to Bali do visit the area. But of course you are right, not every single person who visits Bali spends time in Kuta. I would have to ask if you have travelled to Bali more than once. And if so, during that time did you visit Kuta?

    As for crime type and prevalence, Bali is a small place and it would be foolish to believe that all the criminals actually reside in Kuta. To generalise, I would guess that the majority live in Denpasar and they travel to places like Kuta, Seminyak and Sanur.

    When you mention prevalence what areas are you talking about? The following are off the top of my head but I’m sure a few internet searches would reveal more.

    There was the stabbing murder in Red Room night club in Seminyak by a gang of thugs involved in a turf war. An Australian woman was bashed in a villa robbery in Cangu. There have been paedophiles arrested in Singarragga. A New Zealand man was found dead after being bashed in Uluwatu. British drug smugglers were arrested in Tabanan. An Indonesian man was arrested for kidnapping and molesting a nine year old Australian girl in Ubud. Australian Mark Overton was murdered in Nusa Dua. I know of bag snatches that have occurred in Sanur. And a young Indonesian student was raped and murdered in Denpasar a while back.

    This probably covers the more well-known areas of Bali and the harsher crimes. I’m sure there are lesser crimes that occur all over Bali. But they are not newsworthy or reported.

    Thank you for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bali. Nice plase, nice ppl. But do not feel safe there at all.

    ReplyDelete