Sunday 22 July 2012

Getting up to mischief is so easy in Bali

My favorite chapter in Bali Raw, and the most fun to write, was 'Monkey Tail and The Legend of the Grey Sardine'. I can imagine that it will also be one of the more controversial chapters.

One of my brothers suggested I take it out of the book as he felt the scene where I end up in bed with three prostitutes was taking things too far. He said that it made me look bad. Another brother suggested I leave it in because he knew the guy in question and he thought 'Grey Sardine' was a good depiction. He also enjoyed the story and found it humorous.

This left me in a quandary as I respected the advice of both brothers.

In the end it was the title - Monkey Tail and the Legend of The Grey Sardine - which swayed me. I love the title. I feel it has a certain humorous ring. And it would certainly spark my interest if I came across it while browsing through a book.

Another reason I felt 'Monkey Tail and The Legend of the Grey Sardine' should be left in is that it sheds light on what living in a place like Bali can be like. Things like this don’t happen all the time but if you want to make them happen, then it is possible...

Bali is a crazy place and every night is a Saturday night. A simple phone call and a small reunion with old friends can lead to a huge misadventure. Perhaps it’s a bit reminiscent of The Hangover movies. Things start tame, if organizing a hooker for the ugliest man on earth can be considered tame, then they gradually spiral out of control. The next morning you shake your head and wonder what the hell happened.

I remember having a bit of a reality check on the night in question. I suddenly looked around and realized I was standing naked in one of Bali’s swankier hotel swimming pools. And I was surrounded by five half-naked hookers. I thought, "Shit, how did this happen? What am I doing here and how did I get myself into this?"

I swam to the side of the pool and took a huge swig of a vodka drink. I told myself that I would deal with those annoying little questions later. Then I dove under water and swam back to join the fun. Some things are just better thought about when sober.

There is a huge temptation to play up when you live in Bali. And you know that for a few dollars you can make the wildest party on earth occur.

I hope people realize this when they read Bali Raw. It may sound like an excuse and I may be considered weak, but the temptation is always there and sometimes the allure of the mischief is just too strong.

Three blokes, five hookers, a carload of alcohol and a posh swimming pool is just too good a story not to share. It’s the sort of story blokes like to talk about in the pub. Whenever I catch up with Aaron, AKA The Grey Sardine, the whole story of that night is always retold.

'Monkey Tail and the Legend of The Grey Sardine' is meant to be a laugh but it also true. It happened exactly as I’ve written it. I hope it enlightens readers about Bali, its working girls and its expats and also the kind of parties that happen on the island occasionally.

I hope it makes people laugh and it doesn’t offend anyone.

Oh and did I mention that I love the title?

2 comments:

  1. Well done Malcolm. I also loved both of the titles and their stories. In fact I could not put the book down until I read it in one night. Congrats to you. Is it true that there is a Bali Raw 2?

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat

    Wow thanks for your comments. I appreciate your feedback and I am so glad you enjoyed Bali Raw.

    Yep, hopefully there will be a Bali Raw Two. I am in the finishing stages now and I would like to believe it will be picked up. I must say I am confident as I held the best stories back and they’re good ones. So hopefully you will give it a read and enjoy it as well.

    Cheers
    Mal Scott

    ReplyDelete