Monday 27 August 2012

An Australian Dies Every 9 Days in Bali

I had just finished posting my thoughts on nightclub violence in Bali when I came across this article published in the Bali Times: An Australian Dies Every 9 Days

The Bali Times is a weekly English newspaper that I have always found to be relatively unbiased as far as it's reporting is concerned. 

I would have to admit that when I saw this piece, I was struck by more than one emotion. 

I was impressed that one of Bali's most important and popular papers had taken the time to report on these issues. I honestly believe that the more sincere people are when reflecting on Bali's problems, the more chance there is for this wonderful island to be healed and returned to its former glory. 

I was also shocked. I take no credit for having anything to do with the writing of this piece. But I do cover all of these issues in Bali Raw. They could easily have been researched from Bali Raw's pages.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly I was deeply troubled. What really disturbs me about this article is that it is only concerned with Australians. During my years spent living in Bali I met people from all countries in the world. I for one can't help but question what the death and injury figures are for all tourists that visit Bali.

No comments:

Post a Comment