Sunday 13 May 2012

What's Bali Raw?

For too long, Bali has been portrayed to the world as the paradise of paradises. But Bali is also violent, ugly, distasteful and living in Bali can be a game of survival.

This is the Bali that I know and I have called home for almost a decade, a Bali where the fittest survive and those with the biggest wallet and the greatest connections endure.

There is much I love about Bali, but I became so tired of tourists gushing blindly about how wonderful Bali is. The truth about the people living in Bali - the Balinese, Indonesian locals and expats, including myself - needs to be known, and journalists often seem afraid to write about it. 

And so I started writing a book called Bali Raw: An Expose of the Underbelly of Bali, Indonesia ...

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog from the top down, so this is the last post I read, not the first. The blog is good - it tells some home truths - and I imagine the book must be better. Good work. I do wonder what you do next - can there possibly be a second act?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phillip

    Thank you for taking the time to post a comment and for your thoughts regarding the blog. I really do hope the Blog and Bali Raw help, in some small way, travellers to the island and Bali itself.

    I also hope you find time to read Bali Raw. Bali offered me a lot experiences while I lived there and I have no shortage of material to write about.

    Regards

    Mal Scott

    ReplyDelete