Thursday 24 May 2012

Hell for Schapelle in Kerobokan Prison

I’m no expert on Balinese law and I do not know enough about Schapelle Corby or her case to comment on whether she is guilty or not. It would simply be unfair for me to speculate either way.

I will, however, be happy if she does walk free from Kerobokan Prison.

I can only imagine that life in that place was nothing short of hell. To be locked up in a foreign land like Indonesia for such a long time would have taken great mental fortitude on her part. And it would be a surprise to me if she wasn’t suffering from some form of mental illness due to her incarceration.

The divide between the Indonesian and Australian way of doing things is massive and, although I am not comparing myself or my circumstances to hers in any way, I am aware that when I do return to Australia for brief periods of time I do suffer a little culture shock.

I am in no doubt that for Schapelle this would have been magnified immensely when she was incarcerated and that it will be just as difficult a shock when she returns home.

I am glad Schapelle's nightmare may be coming to a close. But my hope would be that the Australian people and press allow her the time she may need to readjust to life in her own country.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mal,

    I read about Hotel K, a bit about her case. Me either, i have nothing to judge with her case, but same as u and as a human being, i do hope that she can walk away from that hell..

    Let's pray for some innocent people inside there.. :)

    And, most important thing, i do read ur book. Am just start reading it, just a few pages, will continue it soon. Am so exited!..

    Pity tinkerbell,an pity u..lol!... bty, congratulations!! for Bali Raw.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello book seller

    Thank you for your comments and for your write up on
    your own blog http://sejutahuruf.blogspot.com/. Your feedback has been
    inspirational to me personally and helpful to me professionally.

    I too loved the book Hotel Kerobokan by Kathryn Bonella, it was great read
    and very honest.

    With Bali Raw my hope is that I can get the message out to as many people as
    possible that Bali is not what it may seem and not how it is portrayed in
    the glossy brochures. So if you need me to do anything to help promote Bali
    Raw in your city or country please feel free to contact me.

    Regards and thanks
    Mal Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a regular visitor to the prison and have stories of my own, the one thing I will say Schapelle sure is doing really hard time, but there are also 9 other Aussies and many foreigners alike that all recieve the same treatment. As an Aussie I do not for one minute accept what these people have done, although as a sister and a daughter, and a great friend to these people. Just wish we could all band together and get these guys home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous

    I am also Australian and I totally agree with you.

    Although I don't condone drugs or what these people have done, it would be great if the Australian government could organise to bring all Australians that are incarcerated overseas home so they could be close to loved ones.

    It would seem to me that the families of these people suffer massive hardship due to distance and cultural differences. A little understanding and leniency towards their situation could only be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete