Friday 12 October 2012

Balinese Barong Masks

My favourite thing about Bali Raw would have to be the jacket. Bali Raw's cover was organised by Monsoon Books so I had little to do with its creation, but I was excited when it was sent to me for approval. 




The reason for this excitement was partly because I felt it looked great. I loved the colours and the picture seemed to leap from the jacket and demand attention. I also liked the suggestion of something being covered up or hidden that a mask created.

Something I didn't realise, until I had done a little research, was the importance the Barong Mask has in Balinese culture. The Balinese are a profoundly religious people and I believe they deserve the utmost respect when it comes to their beliefs. I also admire the deep spirituality of the Balinese people. With this in mind I feel it's important that I mention a little about the Barong Mask and its meaning.

The Barong Mask has a protective function in Balinese culture. These masks are used during the Barong Dance - a ceremony designed to drive away evil spirits or demons and to help guard the borders of a village. The Barong Dance dates back to ancient animism, a religion practiced in Bali before the advent of Hinduism. And the beautiful masks the performers wear are considered to be a symbol of health and good fortune. 





Balinese ceremonies are vibrant affairs that are rich with colour, music and culture. They are certainly worth a visit. And I would like to suggest to anyone that is having a Bali holiday that they go to see at least one Balinese ceremony.




©Malcolm Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment